In this Top 10 i’ve decided to look back on some great films where the central characters are played by kids. Now I know there are loads out there, however the majority are pretty bad. What is my criteria? Mainly from young teen or lower and that they are essentially the main character in the film.
1. Empire of the Sun // “Learned a new word today. Atom bomb. It was like the God taking a photograph.”
2. Super 8 // “She used to look at me… this way, like really look… and I just knew I was there… that I existed.”
3. The Goonies // “Don’t you realize? The next time you see sky, it’ll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it’ll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what’s right for them. Because it’s their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it’s our time. It’s our time down here. That’s all over the second we ride up Troy’s bucket.”
4. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial // “You could be happy here, I could take care of you. I wouldn’t let anybody hurt you. We could grow up together, E.T. “
5. Stand By Me // “Wish the hell I was your dad. You wouldn’t be goin’ around talkin’ about takin’ these stupid shop courses if I was. It’s like God gave you something, man, all those stories you can make up. And He said, “This is what we got for ya, kid. Try not to lose it.” Kids lose everything unless there’s someone there to look out for them. And if your parents are too fucked up to do it, then maybe I should. “
6. Son of Rambow // “Good morning, Lee Carter. I’m here to help you! “
7. Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events // “This is not our home. Home is where your parents teach you to ride a bike. Where they tuck you into bed at night, or when the get all choked up on your first day of school. This is not home! How could they do this to us?”
8. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas // “We’re not supposed to be friends, you and me. We’re meant to be enemies. Did you know that? “
9. Bugsy Malone // “Okay fellas, this is our moment. Keep a cool head and keep those fingers pumpin’, ’cause remember, it’s history you’ll be writin’.”
10. Where The Wild Things Are // “I have a sadness shield that keeps out all the sadness, and it’s big enough for all of us.”
Apologies if I have omitted anything notable out but these were the 10 films that I remember the best and that have stuck with me.